Fab Fit Momma

5 Tips to Stay a Healthy Momma

April 4, 2018

Photo Cred: @kristalee.photography

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.

When I get on social media I see all of these moms killing it on the looks scale all while getting their personal agendas done, packing the perfect, organic lunches and still making time to work out.

After my first kid, I would still have a lot of time to do things for myself and workout an hour or more but since we had our second my life has changed dramatically.  There is another human wanting more of me and sometimes I just want to sit on the couch during nap time and do absolutely NOTHING!  Good news is I have found a way to do workouts and still have time to do all the other things I have on my list for the day.

Working out is great but there is a lot more to it than just hitting the gym.  Our bodies have been chosen to be the superhumans who get to juggle their own wants and needs as well as their tiny humans, their husbands, and anyone else in their lives want and needs. We need to be the best we can be to take on all these wants and needs that are being thrown our way.   So I have come up with five tips to help stay a healthier Momma/Superhuman.

HIIT is High-Intesity Interval Training.  It is a form of interval training that is built to get your heart rate up and burn more fat in less time.  These can range anywhere from 15-30 minutes.  It puts our bodies in EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) which will leave your body burning calories throughout the rest of the day.

These little beauties are my life saver if you don’t have time to go for a run or a gym class just do a quick HIIT workout.  They are wonderful because it not only increases your metabolism but it is also quick and convenient and you don’t need any equipment. If you need some inspiration follow me on Pinterest. I have a few boards with HIIT workouts, Toning, Cardio, and some Yoga. Click here to head on over to Pinterest.

This usually scares off women.  When we hear the words ‘tone’ or ‘weights’ we think huge and muscular.  What momma wants to look like the Incredible Hulk?  Toning is something that can help women stay strong and burn calories.  All you need is a set of weights and water.  If you do not have weights, your body weight will work as well. Going through a few toning exercises along with some cardio helps us boost our metabolism and look and feel our best.  When we throw in some toning we are getting more calorie-torching bang for our buck.  It’ll keep your body working long after you’ve stopped working out.

I usually do a HIIT workout or go for a run and then do a short toning workout.  They provide a perfect balance to our cardio workouts.  I mean who doesn’t want to increase lean body mass and burn calories more efficiently? I know I do!

Now this one I have a hard time with a lot of times because, honestly, I love coffee and Dr. Pepper wayyy too much!.  If I could, I would drink these two all day but I don’t have that luxury. Your body loses water constantly through breathing, sweating, and digestion so it is important that we rehydrate.  Not to mention as women we need all the help we can get with that water weight. Ugh (insert eye roll here).

It is recommended that you drink half your body weight in ounces.  Someone who weighs 130lbs should be drinking about 65 oz of water.  If water is hard to drink because the taste is so boring spice it up! You can infuse different fruit combinations to help the taste. I struggle to reach my goal ounces throughout the day when I get busy or I just lose count of how many ounces I have drank.  I found something that has helped me keep count and stay on track.  I purchased a water bottle that has times of the day on it to help set a goal of how much water I should drink by that time.  If you are interested,  Here is one. So lets do our bodies a favor and replenish it.

This is tough for moms constantly on the go or working or just staying busy with the tiny humans.  Eating lean protein helps keep calories low and fuels our bodies.  Greens help fuel our bodies and get rid of toxins. They are packed with nutrients.  They are also full of fiber to help those of us who are on the struggle bus in that department.  We should try to aim for 2-3 cups of veggies a day.

With a healthier balanced diet we will not just start to look better but we will feel better.  Your body will thank you for taking care of it by fueling it with good foods.  It’s easier to do than we think.  For example, I always do better maintaining this diet if I meal prep my lunches on a Sunday or Monday for the week.  You can do it Momma.

I do not do well in this department… at ALL!  Now, I can go on and on about how much sleep our bodies need, and how if we don’t get enough sleep then our bodies struggle functioning properly during the day, and how if we have rest we can all be the very best mommas we could possibly be, and this is all very true…BUUUT if I am being honest, those moments when I can sleep are like GOLD.  Moments without kids means moments to myself!!! Say WHAAATTT? Is that a thing?

So yes, our bodies need rest and we should all get it but honestly if I can get a moment to myself then I am going to Carpe Diem that sucka and get crazy. Maybe I’ll watch a show that doesn’t include dogs running around town saving the day? Or maybe I will run a bath or read or workout?  Who knows? The possibilities are ENDLESS!!

So while sleep is important, self-care is just as important.  Take time to do something you enjoy or pamper yourself.  When you have tiny creatures hanging all over you and demanding every ounce of you all day, you need those little moments.  These moments are what help keep you sane and help you not lose yourself.

I would love to tell you I succeed…no not succeed…EXCEL in all these areas, but alas, I do not.  Remember, yes you are a mom and you love your tiny humans more than life itself, but you’re not just a mom. You are so much more, you are your own person who needs things too.  So take those moments and remember who you are.  You are loved, you are a super human, you are special, and most of all you kick rear everyday from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep.So Carpe Diem momma sita.

With Grace and Gumption,

Megan

Subscribe to my email list for motherhood tips, good laughs, conversation, and real OMG momma moments.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: With Grace and Gumption, 2101 Sumac Dr, Forney, TX, 75126, http://withgraceandgumption.org. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Kaylee April 4, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Oh this is so good! I am so bad at staying heathy. Post baby and it’s veen a real struggle. All of this just encourages me to get out there and take care of myself!

• Reply Cassie April 5, 2018 at 12:02 am

Oh my gosh, yes! One kid is one thing, but two kids is a whoooooole nother ballpark. Trying to find time for myself is so much more difficult. Thanks for the tips.

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 5, 2018 at 3:07 am

Absolutely! My key was getting the nap time down at the same time, and by the grace of God we did it. haha

• Reply Emily Wykes April 5, 2018 at 12:26 am

The problem is…baby. Babies are so demanding, it’s like “for real kid, just make yourself a sandwich”! No for real, I find it easiest to eat the right way when I 1) don’t even give myself the option to cheat. Like, strict grocery budget and only whole foods in the house. 2) Force a green smoothie + protein down at least once a day 3) Drink two full glasses of water before putting anything else in my mouth in the morning and 4) choosing realistic, simple, whole-foods recipes with ingredients my whole family likes. If Ryan isn’t on board with my current eating trends, I’ll eat Torchy’s queso ere day (if you don’t know what Torchy’s is, then I’m sorry and you need to come to Texas). Support, yall!

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 5, 2018 at 3:09 am

You are so right. I always do better when all I buy are Whole Foods. I am forced to eat it. Oh and girl I know all about that Torchy’s queso!! man sooooo good!!

• Reply Nikki April 9, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Eating, let alone healthy eating is the most difficult one for me! I have an eight month old, and full time nanny for another baby… My breakfast sits on the counter for like, four hours until it’s finally finished… lets not even get started on lunch. 😉
    Thank you for these tips! I have never tried HIIT workouts, because I am SO scared of them, but maybe it’s time I just go for it!

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 9, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Oh I completely understand the eating part! I think I re-heat my coffee 10 times before I finish it. haha I do find if I meal prep it’s a tad easier.
      HIIT workouts aren’t as bad as they look. I prefer these over running most of the time. You can do it girl!

• Reply Kelly April 9, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Mine are much older now, but I do remember the day of them being little and feeling like I had no time for anyhting! Great tips! =)

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 9, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Yes! I feel like I get them situated eating and then go to take a bite and they are already wanting more or ready to move on to the next thing. haha

• Reply Brandi April 9, 2018 at 2:47 pm

This is the is informative. Thank you for this! After two children, I still haven’t mastered getting back to my pre-kid body.

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 9, 2018 at 7:23 pm

It is definitely tough. It took me a while after my second. Sometimes we just have/need to choose down time and recovery time over body sculpting. haha

• Reply Angela Schultz April 9, 2018 at 2:50 pm

I think for me the hardest is eating healthy. I have learned to eat healthier at restaurants, but it is still hard to find the time to make wise choices. I really only workout once a week, but my body is toned so I am not too concerned there. bb

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 9, 2018 at 7:24 pm

The eating healthy is a constant struggle for me too. If I don’t meal prep the week is a struggle for real!! I will also make healthy dinners and use the left overs as lunches if I haven’t meal prepped for that week.

• Reply Makenzie April 9, 2018 at 2:56 pm

These are such great tips! As a new mom, it’s really hard to get some these in… when you have a sleeping baby on you, you cringe at the thought of waking them to go pee, so that means no water I guess !

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 9, 2018 at 7:26 pm

haha So true! New babies make it difficult. But those snuggles are more important anyways! 🙂

• Reply Danielle April 9, 2018 at 3:57 pm

You have some great tips here! It’s so hard to actually stay healthy by eating right, excercising and drinking enough water. I just had a baby but hope to be able to get back into working out once I get the all clear from my doctor. I’ve stwrted doing things slowly since I had a c-section but I still get sore easily. The one thing I am lacking right now is sleep!!

• Reply withgraceandgumption.org April 9, 2018 at 7:28 pm

I had c-sections as well. It takes awhile to get back in. I bet you are lacking in sleep. Those cute tiny humans know how to take it out of us. But all the snuggles, smiles, and kisses make it all worth it. 🙂

• Reply Tracey April 9, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Okay, I got the water and sleep down. I need to work on the others. Lol